The Sheldon Group

Frequently asked questions


Here you will find answers to Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Ask Questions

Please feel free to contact us for any other questions

The Scientific Research & Experimental Development (SR&ED) Tax Incentive Program began in 1944 with the aim of stimulating the Canadian economy by incentivizing research and development within the country. Rules governing the program are contained in the Canadian Income Tax Act. The only method of applying for the program is through your company’s income tax return.

The Canadian government refunds over three billion dollars every year to approximately 20,000 companies through the SR&ED Program.

Your company must operate within Canada.

Your company must conduct activities that result in an acquisition of knowledge in a specific area of technology.

Your company must have expenses in either of the following two categories:

Payroll (T4 Salary)


If you meet the above criteria, it is likely you are eligible to benefit from the program.

Many are surprised to find out that almost every industry in Canada is conducting work that is eligible for SR&ED tax incentives. The definitions in subsection 248(1) of the Income Tax Act are quite broad and do not mention any specific industry. It can therefore be concluded that SR&ED credits are not generally restricted to certain industries or professions.

There are however a few exceptions when it comes to qualifying for the program, including the following ineligible activities:

  • Market Research
  • Research in social sciences or the humanities
  • Prospecting, exploring or drilling for, or producing, minerals, petroleum or natural gas

We are a full-service SR&ED firm and we employ a team of technical writers and accountant whose job it is to draft technical reports and prepare SR&ED claims. This means that we can accurately and swiftly take down all the important details of the work you performed from your staff.

You and your staff will write nothing. We do the rest of the work for you.

For most SR&ED claims, the CRA holds itself to a service standard of 90 days. This applies to claims submitted by Canadian Controlled Private Corporations (CCPC). For larger companies or non-Canadian controlled corporations, the service standard is 240 days. According to CRA’s website, this standard is reached on over 90% of claims that are filed with the corporate tax return.